Recipe originally found at: http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/tomato-basil-soup.aspx
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1.2 litres boiling vegetable stock
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2½ tbsp tomato purée
- 10g fresh basil
- 100g passata
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sieve the chopped tomatoes into a large pan, reserving the chopped tomato pieces left in the sieve for later.
- Add the onion to the tomato juices in the pan, along with the carrot, garlic, stock, paprika and tomato purée.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat then turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the basil then pour the soup into a food processor or liquidiser and whizz until smooth.
- Tip the soup back into the pan, add the reserved tomato pieces and passata and bring to a simmer. Season to taste and serve.